Sunday, October 28, 2007

Horror Fest Day Three: Haeckel’s Tale

While I'm waiting for the others to arrive for 3-D Nite, I thought I'd watch the last Masters of Horror episode I hadn't seen, Haeckel's Tale*.

Based on a Clive Barker story and directed by John McNaughton (maker of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and who replaced George Romero at the last moment due to scheduling conflicts) Haeckel's Tale is a twist of Tales from the Crypt style storytelling, complete with science gone awry, necromancy, and trademark Barker love between the living and the dead.

To say much more would rob any surprise for you, but I'm quite pleased to say that this is one of the better Masters of Horror, something I was not expecting to bed honest. Much of the first season leaves something to be desired, and I'd held off on this one because it didn't seem like Haeckel's Tale would be too promising.

Freddy's Dead is still waiting, along with thirteen pairs of glasses for anyone willing to slip into them...


* There's still one I haven't seen, but I also probably won't see it, and that's Imprint.

No comments: