Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Video Daily Double that Answers YOUR Questions

Well, one question. The other post for today is based on a recent obsession of the Cap'n, one that you can follow along almost every Saturday night on PBS.

Tomorrow, I'm going to review a movie that wasn't on any list you saw Monday, last week, or any other time I've given a "list of things I will review." Thank Netflix and its "Watch It Now," but I'd never seen Cameron Crowe's Singles, despite having seen every other "quintessential" 90s movie. Since I enjoy Cameron Crowe films, I enjoy(ed) grunge, it was an impulse decision, and I don't regret it. Also, I'm glad I saw it after Breathless and before Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Ah, I digress. On with the videos!


---

Our first video addresses the question I heard most after Monday's post, "What the hell is Head?" The answer, is the Bob Rafelson directed, Jack Nicholson written, Monkees starring psychedelic head-trip that out weirds the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour. Here's Davey Jones chatting it up with Frank Zappa:



Our second video comes from The Lawrence Welk Show. If you've even heard of the program, it's probably directly related to Saturday Night Live's parodies. The show makes vanilla look interesting by comparison, and based on the audience shots, the median age of viewers was 68 years old. Somehow they snuck in songs like "Everbody's Talkin'" from Midnight Cowboy, and the following clip. To give you a point of reference, "One Toke Over the Line" opens Terry Gilliam's adaptation of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

No comments: