Monday, March 28, 2011

Moving without moving.

A very happy Monday to all of you readers: the Cap'n has been a little behind on timely posts lately due to the fact that I've been moving what's left of my stuff from Blogorium storage unit A to Blogorium storage unit B. As the two storage units are roughly 90 miles apart and I can't afford one moving van to accomplish all of this in one go-round, the moving process has been time consuming to say the least. I saw my boxes of VHS tapes for the first time since July, only to see them covered up again by more boxes (those tapes may be the heaviest boxes I have left), and realized there were books in plastic storage bins that I'd forgotten about.

This is, of course, mostly irrelevant to the discussion of film, which is ostensibly what Cap'n Howdy's Blogorium is all about, and as I haven't had time to watch anything beyond an episode or two of Battlestar Galactica (a TV Talk that will have to wait another season and a half), the Cap'n spent the last thirty minutes trying to think of anything to write about that didn't involve moving. You can see how well that worked out.

I'm so early in the stages of making my own "digital copies" that I don't really want to discuss it yet, other than to say that I can now make non-anamorphic transfers "enhanced for widescreen TVs." I have a backlog of rare, obscure, and typically unavailable in the U.S. films to watch or review (including Orson Welles' Chimes at Midnight, Steven Soderbergh's Kafka and The King of the Hill, Willard, Ben, Matewan, 1984, How I Won the War, and Prospero's Books). There's also the matter of Bad Movie Night, which is in about two weeks, and the question of whether I can get anyone other than Cranpire to go see Scream 4 as our field trip feature.

On the upside, Summer Fest Presents: Cap'n Howdy vs. Giant Sharktopus is almost locked in place, as is Horror Fest VI (which doesn't have a catchy moniker... yet) thanks to an influx of offbeat titles I've located in the last few months but would prefer not to disclose. Rest assured, none of them is a "Trappening"; okay, one of them - maybe two at the most.

I think I'll be done moving tomorrow, but it means getting up early to do it, so there will be a Retro Review and a Video Daily Double on Wednesday. Stick around, this is the calm before the storm, kiddos...

No comments: