Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Planning Ahead

While I was training a new employee at work tonight, she mentioned that there's a Drive-In over in Albermarle that's up and running. More importantly, it's doing pretty well. This makes me happy for two reasons:

1) this hints at a possibility of the revival of independent theatres - specifically drive-ins - that people can experience separately of the multiplex. Not knowing what they play, I don't want to go too much further down that avenue, but this does at least mean the Drive-In and drive-in culture isn't dead.

2) there's a (relatively) nearby drive-in to make a trip to and see movies at. I'm pretty excited about that possibility, especially if the movie matches the venue. We should put something together in the not-too-distant future about checking this out.

---

The DVR is now working, and it should be recording David Cronenberg's Shivers, a movie I don't have on dvd and it'll be nice to have in some format. This aspect of digital media may have the edge on other "portable media" formats, since it looks pretty nice and is easy to access. The "remote" recording aspect is also a plus. I can plan waaay ahead to dvr a show and watch it on when I have a chance.

Now it's just a matter of perusing the absurd amount of movie channels available and narrow down additional films or series to check out. I also noticed that Syfy HD runs blocks of Tales from the Darkside, including later seasons, which I should also add to the "record" function. Horror fest will be coming sooner rather than later...

---

Speaking of Horror Fest, Trick R Treat comes out on October 6th and I brought home a highly spoken of indie horror film called Plague Town. The Cap'n also needs to check out Martyrs, once he unpacks the Netflix disc.

Also, a little picture I found called Strangler of the Swamp...

---

Behave out there, gangarinos. Remember, you still have two days to put in any dvd, book, game, vhs, or cd requests from Sweaty's.

2 comments:

Doctor Tom (Tom Dempster) said...

Ahem.

TEENAGE MUTHA.

Quixoticus said...

oooooooooooooh Martyrs! :)

Prepare to have your mind raped.