Saturday, August 22, 2009

So.... did you ever wonder how it is the Cap'n finds such random movies when he's reviewing? How on earth I make the jump from Phantasm II to Surveillance, or even Tyson (review coming soon-ish)?

Well, I usually do one of two things when I hear about a movie that sounds interesting: I bookmark it and file it under the "Stuff to Buy/Rent" subfolder, or I add it to my Netflix queue in order to find it much later when I've forgotten such a film existed.

To demonstrate:

the "Stuff to Buy/Rent" page, which is normally reserved for things I'd like to have with little reservations.

Most other films end up in the Netflix queue, and to give you some idea how random it can get because of that, I'm including some screencaps. As with any picture in the blogorium, click on it for a larger, more legible version.

Okay, I'll admit it's a bit random. I've got Del Tenney's Curse of the Living Corpse (and some other movie) alongside Jacque Tati's Playtime, Slaughter High, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle occupies the same space as Death Bed: The Bed That Eats. But come on now, I have Outlander (the Vikings vs Aliens movie) Alien Tresspass (a Lost Skeleton of Cadavra-like film from last year), and Doctor Who at home right now. It's just how the Cap'n operates.

I really like this segment, because it really jumps haphazardly between high and low art. I challenge you to find me someone else who has Preston Sturges between Return of the Living Dead 3 and April Fool's Day. Or American Movie and The Bad and the Beautiful side by side.
And here I exercise my indie / art house tendencies, only to switch it up at the very end with I Drink Your Blood. Classy.

I have no particular comment here. Just thought it was a pretty odd mix of movies.

Schlock, followed by some class. It's a cinematic blender when you leave the queue-ing to me.

Kagemusha. Kickboxer. Hot Rod. Need I say more?

So yeah... maybe that helps you understand my scatterbrained approach to what I watch and when. Throw in the considerable amount of disc and tape-age here art the ATDB, and it's hard to say where I'm going next. Hopefully you now understand that it's not only horror I dig into; that's just the easiest to write about quickly.

No comments: