Thursday, January 28, 2010

Video Daily Double Plus A DVD Cover Gripe

I'm not really sure why I'm so irked by this, but the DVD for Big Fan arrived yesterday, and I have to say it has one of the worst covers for a movie, especially considering the subject matter. Allow the picture to speak a thousand words, followed by a few of mine:


Okay, so anybody who's seen Big Fan will notice immediately that the DVD cover makes the film look like some kind of inspirational sports film starring Patton Oswalt as a mentally handicapped NY Giants fan. Seriously. That's what the juxtaposition of the picture of Oswalt to the cheering fans at the game suggests. It's very Radio-esque. That is not what Big Fan is. In an odd and pathetic way, it is uplifiting at the end, but not even close to the way that cover makes it look.

To wit, here's the theatrical poster:

First off, I will openly admit that it's less aesthetically pleasing than the stupid DVD cover, but as unmarketable as this image is, it perfectly conveys the tone of the film. This is the story of Paul Aufiero, this total loser that gives no positive impression on you and who would let a football player beat the shit out of him and do nothing. Not the chubby man-child who loves football and finally goes to the big game where the Giants win and give him the game ball.

So that's my two cents on the bungling of that DVD artwork. Stay tuned for videos.

---

Video Daily Double Part One: 40 Inspiration Speeches in 2:15.



Strangely, it kinda did the trick for me. I feel quite motivated to fight aliens or the British. Or something...




Finally, Video Daily Double Part Two: the trailer for Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps.



I really have no idea how I feel about this. It's a well made trailer, but I can't help but worry about the movie. It may be the most unnecessary sequel there is...

No comments: