Monday, November 23, 2009

Warning: Slacking Ahead

It's very nearly Turkey Time here at the Blogorium, which means the posts will be a little sporadic between Tuesday and Friday. I'll try to get things up normally but it's always hard to say when in another town using other people's equipment. I'm hoping to finagle some friends into seeing The Men Who Stare at Goats with me, since visiting is always a good excuse to see something I've been meaning to.

And by The Men Who Stare at Goats I obviously mean New Moon. 140 million dollars just isn't enough, you guys. It needs to be the best movie ever... oh who am I kidding. I can't even lie and tell you I'm going to see it when I know I won't.

---

Listening to the Star Trek commentary (yes, meaning I watched the movie a third time over the weekend), JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof counter my "coincidences" argument by pulling the Lost trump card:

They aren't coincidences. It's fate.

So if you want to take their side on it, be my guess. Abrams also cops to loving the lens flares, using a similar argument to "the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades". They also considered doing a post-credits teaser with the Botany Bay, but decided against it since Star Trek II: The Pre-Wrath of Khan doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

I realize it sounds like I'm bagging on the movie, but I do still enjoy it, even though there's not much "there" there. Of course, that's coming from someone who watched the movie three times this year. I'm not sure there are any other movies I've seen three times this year, but I'll dig deep and come up with something for you.

---

If you continued reading this far assuming there was some Richard Linklater action to be had at the end of this blog, I apologize. Slacker is nowhere near my list of "movies I'll ever watch again even on a dare", but I will watch Dazed and Confused, A Scanner Darkly, and the Before movies again. Likely very soon. It's been a bit since I last watched Scanner, so maybe I'll pop that in when I get back.

And now it's time to sleep. Not all classes were canceled tomorrow...

No comments: