Thursday, October 6, 2011

Soliciting Ideas for Spooky Doom!

 Let's take a moment to discuss Horror Fest, shall we? The Cap'n has a backlog of movies for Horror Fest, and voting is still underway for Slasher Sunday*, but I'm always looking for something hiding in the margins waiting to splatter all over our Horror Fest faces...

 Wow, that sounded dirtier than I intended. Oh well, I put it there, I'm not removing it.

 So, where were we? Right, obscure horror films. This is the time of the month when I hand over the floor to you, the reader, to offer up your choicest choices. They may well end up in the Fest on Friday or Saturday and delight, horrify, and amuse us all.

 Here are some of the lesser known titles I'm leaning towards, in no particular order:

 The Dead - I've been hearing good things about this zombie film from Africa for the better part of the year, but very few people I know have ever heard of it. Let's change that at the end of the month.

 The Puppet Monster Massacre - Yes, an all-puppet horror movie. It's short, it's violent, and I think people are really going to get a kick out of it.

 All the Boys Love Mandy Lane - You've probably seen my review of the film from earlier this year, but I must stress that the review makes it look more lukewarm than it actually is. I don't know if or when this film will officially make it to the U.S., but in the meantime I'll happily include one of the better slashers from the last five years at Horror Fest.


 Stake Land - A marriage of two of my favorite kinds of movies: post-apocalyptic and vampires. I think it will fare well with discerning Fest-ers.

 Doghouse - Okay, this is the second zombie movie on the list, but I can't leave out a film that stars Stephen Graham (Boardwalk Empire), Danny Dyer (Severance), and Noel Clarker (Mickey from Doctor Who) as lads on the outs with their respective girlfriends / wives, who gravitate to a small town filled with ravenous zombie lasses.



 I think everybody has at least heard of Attack the Block by now. I think you'll like it.

So that's some of what I've got (the newer stuff anyway). What about you? Something surprising? Shocking? Something super gory for after dark? Leave a comment, make your case, and I'll see if I can find it before the 28th.

 Sound good?


* I know I said I wouldn't weigh in on the movies, but seriously? Visiting Hours? I know that Bootstrap Bill Shatner is in the movie, but it is one of the films I've actually seen and was bored to tears for most of its running time. If you want to watch it, I suppose we could watch it, but may I suggest Savage Weekend? Check out this review and see what you think.

No comments: