Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Come on, "The Giant Claw"!

You're so close to making the cut! If two more people voted for you, the Cap'n would have to throw this into triple over time September madness. And believe you me, I'd do it.

Incidentally, if you're the person who voted for Horror of the Blood Monsters, I salute you. I'm glad you lost, because we're not going to try to watch it (and fail) for the third time. You could tell me that the movie starts spitting out $100 bills after the 30-minute mark and I still wouldn't subject myself of others to Vampire Men of the Lost World. That movie is designed for one purpose only: to chase away stragglers at a party.

But kudos to you for voting for it. You're one sick puppy, and I respect that.

---

I've noticed when something that has cultural significance happens, I tend to ignore it. It isn't that I didn't notice them or that I'm being a contrarian for not mentioning current events; it's more that I think about it and then realize there's something I'd rather write about. Seriously.

Today, I'm breaking that trend in order to point out something that (at least) I hadn't heard anything about. As it's Beatles day (or "sold out everywhere I looked day"), it occurred to me that amidst all of this marketing blitz, no one seems to care that A Hard Day's Night turned 45 last month. August 11th, to be specific.

Beyond the fact that today marks the first major Beatles release since the Anthologies came out a decade ago, I included A Hard Day's Night in the list of "movies I thought would be in High Definition before Lord of Illusions" because it just makes sense. There's absolutely no reason not to release A Hard Day's Night and Help! on Blu Ray at the same time the remastered cds and boxed sets come out.

Not only is it nice synchronicity with Beatles related merchandise, but there's an anniversary related excuse to put out a "new" edition of each movie in a separate format to entice audiophiles and cinephiles into dropping some extra cash. While I'm certain the color palette of Help! would look great in HD, I'm willing to bet a nice, crisp black and white transfer for A Hard Day's Night would be just what the doctor ordered. But instead the world gets a video game. Silly.

---

I'm tempted to drop $6.99 on an HD On Demand viewing of I Sell the Dead. The film stars Dominic Monaghan, Ron Perlman, and Angus Scrimm, and is the tale of a career grave robber (Monaghan) confessing his crimes before execution. It turns out that grave robbers have to deal with zombies, vampires, ghouls, and even aliens!(?) If you haven't heard of the movie, don't be surprised; it's in very limited release, has no indication of when (if?) a dvd is coming, but reviews are pretty good. I Sell the Dead has been favorably compared to Creepshow and EC Comics, so it might be worth seven dollars to check it out.

No comments: