Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Multitasking and Democracy

Here at the Blogorium, I like to have several projects running at one time in various states of completion, so that writing about movies can stay varied and (for all of us) interesting.

At the moment I'm in the process of watching Jubilee, Derek Jarman's apocalypsterpiece, I'm working on write ups for Tyson and The Private Life of Henry VIII, and have been watching Inglorious Bastards again on Blu Ray. Additionally, I'm working on an Anthropology project about community based on the moviegoing experience as ritual. My field work is to compare the rules and etiquette observed along with the sense of catharsis and solidarity in different theatres.

In order to really get into this, my "research" will include seeing movies at The Carolina, Carousel, Grande, Brassfield, Dollar Theatre, and if I'm lucky, a Drive-In. I want to try seeing different movies in different atmospheres to get a good idea of the different rules of engagement for "joining" the audience in varying theatres. If you'd like to join, let me know.

The Cap'n also takes requests, so if there's something you want me to watch or write about, just let me know. I have plenty here to keep me busy, but please redirect my attention as needed.

---
Oh, in case anybody was wondering, the winners of Round One were Ghoulies 2 and Black Sheep, which you'll see again once I've narrowed down the field. Considering the amount of movies, I might have to cut down voting time in order to thin out the long list, or I could simply ask you to comment on which movies that you have no interest in seeing whatsoever.

The list, if we're going the more expedient route, consists of:

Horror Fest 1 -
The Alligator People, The Lost Boys, Feast, The Wicker Man, From Dusk Til Dawn, Friday
the 13
th Part 4: The Final Chapter, Saw, Re-Animator, Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Horror Fest 2 -
Hostel Part II, Dead & Buried, Night of the Lepus, Hellraiser, 1408, From Beyond, Return to Horror High, The Descent, Planet Terror, The Call of Cthulu, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Night of the Living Dead 3-D

Summer Fest 1 -
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, ___ _________, Teeth, Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, Dead Heat, Fido, Friday the 13th Part 2, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, The Giant Claw

Horror Fest 3 -
In the Mouth of Madness, Dead Alive, Halloween, Faces of Death, Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn, The Ruins, The Mist, Blade Trinity, Blood Feast, Child’s Play 2, The Paul Lynde Halloween Special, Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare, The Wicker Man (2006), The Orphanage

Summer Fest 2 -
Drag Me to Hell, Army of Darkness, Alien Apocalypse, Chopping Mall, Terrorvision, Friday the 13th Part 3, The Prowler, Student Bodies, Uncle Sam, Hillbillys in a Haunted House, Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, Troll 2, Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, Creepshow, Shaun of the Dead

Let's go, people: trim some of the fat and make the voting more fun. I can see a lot of movies on there I'm not interested in seeing again. Just name the ones you want out in the comments, but choose wisely; if you choose something that shouldn't be cut, I may put it somewhere else in the weekend*.

By the way, if you're wondering about some movies I've penciled in as "likely":

Let the Right One In, Martyrs, The Stepfather, Trick R Treat, Child's Play, Matango, The Werewolf versus The Vampire Woman, An American Werewolf in London, Night of the Creeps, See No Evil, and Scream Blacula Scream.

Depending on what's playing, our field trips choices are between Zombieland and Lars Von Trier's Antichrist.



* I'm not saying that I bought Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, but I'd advise you against asking me to remove it. Or a certain Halloween Special.

No comments: