Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summerfest 3 Day Three: Return of the Living Dead and The McGangbang Challenge!

If you're looking for a review of Return of the Living Dead, I'm afraid the Cap'n will be disappointing you. While I am a huge fan of the Dan O'Bannon take on Romero zombies (and the film that forever linked the living dead to the phrase "Brains!"), the Cap'n has seen ROTLD many times and needed to run out of the Apartment that Dripped Blood to pick up something more horrifying.... the dreaded McGangbang. That was tonight's REAL challenge.


For those of you who haven't read the article on Cracked.com that I put up the other day, allow me to fill you in on the McGangbang: take One (1) McDouble from the Dollar Menu, take One (1) McChicken sandwich from the Dollar Menu. Open McDouble, separate into two halves (along the patties), open the McChicken sandwich, remove one bun (or don't, it's up to you), and then place the McChicken sandwich between the patties of the McDouble. It should look like this:


Yes, I know; anybody stupid enough to eat this "unholy union" of food deserves what they get, but what's Summerfest without one truly moronic stunt? The good news is that despite the fact that Cranpire refused to partake (and so did a number of more sensible attendees), five of us were dumb brave enough to dare take the McGangbang Challenge. One of us was even braver than the others, but I'll get to that momentarily.


First, I'd like to show you what it looks like to eat a McGangbang. Everybody made roughly the same face, as you'll see:


Pictures tell some of the story, but video is even more helpful (not for the faint of heart):



The McGangbang is a devious "food" challenge, because at the first bite or so, you think "hey, this isn't so bad! in fact, it's kind of tasty!" mostly because there's no reason a human being would ever think to eat a burger and a chicken sandwich at the same time, so the flavor combination is new and exciting. About 3/4's of the way in, I realized the folly of my decision, but felt the need to press on. 30 minutes later, I knew I made at mistake that no amount of Pepto Bismol could undo.

A normal human being should react this way, but Chris Hodgin (aka Iron Stomach) ate not one but two McGangbangs and took home the ingredients for a third. I salute you, Mr. Hodgin. Truly you are insane.

No comments: