Friday, July 2, 2010

Summerfest 3 Day Two: Ghostbusters

I'm going to hand Ghostbusters over to the one person in the audience that had never seen the film, Mr. Phillippi. I know, it sounds like I'm lying, but as he'll demonstrate, the movie was a revelation - for all the wrong reasons:


Ghostbusters is a movie I've heard about since I was a small child growing up in Amish country in Pennsylvania. As the son of Pennsylvania Dutch emigrants from central Ohio I was not able to watch movies as a kid, as my parent's considered technology to be the devil's 'ology.' After nearly twenty years of build up I have to say that I was thoroughly disappointed with this piece of mid 80's tripe. The film was so predictable that everyone in the room was saying lines from this smutfest before they were even spoken in the film. The movie seemed to dwell not as much on the ghost-busting one might expect from the title as Bill Murray's pursuit of Sigourney Weaver's vagina. His constant smutty asides really ruined other parts of the movie that I might have enjoyed, such as Dan Aykroyd's encyclopedic and seemingly genuine knowledge of the science of parapsychology. Meanwhile Harold Ramis positively oozed sexuality in his role as the dreamy Dr Egon Spangler. His movie star good looks and forbidden science know-how really made him the finest portion of the movie. I was also upset by the treatment of William Atherton's hard working EPA investigator trying to stop these nucular-backpacked madmen as they reigned destruction across New York City. How these so-called "scientists" could not understand the dangers of nucular power after the disasters of 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl was simply disturbing. So I have to say that the build-up I've heard from my friends over the years was total BS and that I can assure you I will never watch this terrible movie again.

No comments: