Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's Like Any Other Blog Today (which is to say lots of "reaction")

Can it be? Finally?

Bubba Nosferatu is going to shoot this year?

I'm going to pretend that the two people I know who don't like Bubba Ho-Tep aren't reading this, because the news that its long-in-the-making sequel is music to my ears. I thought Bubba Ho-Tep was a breath of fresh air in a realm of remakes, not to mention one of the weirdest damn horror films in years. But what would you expect from the director of Phantasm?

For those of you who hadn't heard yet, the Bruce is out as Elvis (he passed on the film a year or so ago) but Paul Giamatti - who's onboard as Colonel Tom Parker - let it slip his replacement was none other than Ron "Ma-fuckin" Perlman (The City of Lost Children, Hellboy). Since Perlman is playing a younger Elvis than Bruce Campbell did, this is fine with me.

The Bruce is cool with his replacement and to be honest, this casting choice is just weird enough to fit in the world of Bubba Ho-Tep. Other than the story used to be about "she-vampires", no one seems to know what Bubba Nosferatu is bringing to the table. Nevertheless, I'll be happy to see it when it comes out.

---

To temporarily belabor the "successful remakes erase the original" argument I've been formulating, I heard the following sentence today:

"Oh look, they put 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' from Spamalot on here!"

I'm really starting to wonder if (or should I say "when") the Spamalot movie comes out what the impact will be on older Python films. Admittedly, Holy Grail is something of a sacred cow, but I do wonder about the legacy of Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life and the way they've been cherry picked for Spamalot. Thoughts?

---

Some time soon all this school work will be out of the way and I can finally watch a number of movies gathering (or soon gathering) dust: The Wrestler, Synecdoche NY, Milk, Frost/Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire, W., Cat in the Brain, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, and Hellraiser on Blu Ray.

Yeah, I'd love to tell you I'll be on these very soon, but alas the University owns my soul and my time until mid-May. Gack!

2 comments:

El Cranpiro said...

Having actually seen the play of Spamalot I feel that I can comment on this topic.It was a good time but it was a just a mash up remake of the three films. I did not know that there was a movie coming out but I am not surprised. Also the original setting for "Bright Side of Life" is a bit morbid.

Cap'n Howdy said...

I don't mean to imply there is a movie of Spamalot coming out, but given the success of Hairspray and Rent, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a movie in the next five years. To my knowledge there's nobody at work on the film.