Saturday, April 25, 2009

Inconceivable!

Blogorium readers, I'm reaching out to all of you. The Cap'n needs to find a movie in the worst way, and only you can help.


Please, seek out Ganjasaurus Rex!

...

.....

......

.......

"Wait... did the Cap'n just say he wanted to watch a movie called Ganjasaurus Rex?! Is this some kind of a joke? Such a movie can't possibly exist..."

Ah, dear readers, I understand you confusion, but I assure you that such a movie exists! I first heard of this incredibly hard to find movie in Mick Martin and Marsha Porter's Video Movie Guide: 1990, and in their "Turkey" rating, they explain

"A prodrug propaganda film about a prehistoric monster that awakens when the authorities begin burning marijuana crops. The heroes, of course, are the drug growers. The film's production values are so low that even its intended audience will have difficulty enjoying it. Not Rated. 1988; 88m."

If that isn't enough to woo you in (and it was for me!), then check out the following review from IMDB's page:

"Several years ago while visiting in Atlanta, GA, I was browsing the BookNook at Clairemont and Buford and in their used VHS movie section I spotted the title Ganjasaurus Rex. It looked really bottom-barrel terrible so I bought it, figuring my friends would have a ball watching this as one of the worst films ever produced. It is so terrific as a bad film that you can get stoned just watching it. The basic concept is that a pot farmer in the remote West Coast stumbles across an ancient marijuana seed the size of a Volkswagon and decides to plant it. The plant is the size of a sequoia tree, and it's aroma awakens the sleeping Ganjasaurus Rex that feeds on it. The monster is an actual toy Godzilla with an always visible hand causing movement, and that should be a key reference to the special effects, the acting, and the plot line."

Okay, now look at the VHS Cover:


How could you not want to see this? Combine stupid premise with cheap toy and shot-on-camcorder production values, this is a no brainer! It may be the only pro-marijuana horror movie that employs a "giant" monster, and the Video Movie Guide actually bothered to rate it "Turkey". That's an impressive feat for something I bet none of us have ever seen.

So what's holding the Cap'n back? Well, for one thing the movie is not available on dvd (shock!), but worse still, the VHS isn't even easy to locate. Oh sure, if I had a time machine and lots of gasoline I'd travel video stores across the 1980s for a copy, but I have neither and the cheapest copy on Amazon is $39.75.

I'm not saying that it probably isn't worth every penny but, sight unseen, that's a lot to ask. I beg of you, Blogorium faithful, to scour your local video stores, Roses, gas stations, and anywhere else that still bothers stocking cheap-o vhs tapes. Help the Cap'n find Ganjasaurus Rex, and I will hold the most glorious party to celebrate this classic-to-be*!

Together we can find out just how much of a Turkey Ganjasaurus Rex really is, and I'll even make copies for all of you! How's that for incentive to help me?

Gang?


Where did you go???

Okay, how about just a copy for me and anyone who wants one? Is that better?



* there will probably not be marijuana though. sorry.

No comments: