Monday, April 27, 2009

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour..."

The Cap'n spent most of the weekend getting writing of the other sort done, so there's not a lot of movie talk to do. I did watch Back to the Future, which has become the equivalent of "comfort food" along with movies like Murder By Death, Dazed and Confused, Tron, and The Goonies; movies I can put on any time and watch all the way through. I realize that's a motley crew of a line up, and I'm forgetting other movies that make "regular" rotation (like A New Hope or Escape from New York), but there are things I go back to all of the time for whatever reason.

Anyway, to focus on Back to the Future: watching this movie after ragging on Mac and Me's shameless product placement made me feel a little bad for going so hard on that shitty movie. True, it wears its sponsorship on its sleeve, but Back to the Future is just as guilty.

We are talking about a film that responds to the question "Are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean???" with "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? "

This along with shilling for Pepsi, JVC, California Raisins, Burger King, Chevy, Lexus, and yes, Huey Lewis and the News (check out that Sports poster on Marty's wall!). Oh, and Van Halen and several other I'm forgetting. The hover board in part 2 is a plug for Hasbro, for crying out loud!

Anway, I rescind some of the disdain for Mac and Me, but still I can't give a film with Ronald McDonald in the trailer a free pass. The 80s may be loaded with shameless product placement; I contend Mac and Me takes it to a whole new level.

---

What remake of Videodrome? That's like the prequel to The Thing that nobody is making, right? Or that remake of They Live Cranpire is excited isn't happening, right?

---

Speaking of Cranpire, we've been having quite a back and forth about whether Jason Vorhees died as a young'un in Friday the 13th (hence being a zombie in every movie since part 2) or if Jason actually didn't drown and was a living dude until part 4 when he died big time. Then was revived as Zombie Jason in part 6. I'm standing by my argument (the latter) while Cranpire has some interesting points for his side.

What do you folks think? Cranpire I already know what you think and will be happy to excerpt it in a followup blog but if others would throw in their two cents we can get a full fledged conversation going on here.

---

Gotta go. Still some school junk to deal with. Eegah!

4 comments:

Doctor Tom (Tom Dempster) said...

I one day need to come up with a definitive list of "Films that Should Never Be Remade" or something to that effect.

Videodrome would be in that list (of, say, 100 films) at least six times.

El Cranpiro said...

I was appalled and confused when I read about the attempt to remake Videodrome. I love that movie but why would you remake it. The same with They Live. Do enough people know enough about these movies to warrant even an attempt. Talking about this led me to the point that since they are all ready remaking remakes, I am Legend, the end point will be when they start remaking the shit. Like Manos or Blood Freak. Will it ever end.

El Cranpiro said...

I was watching TV today and came across a movie with just as much if not more than Mac and Me and Back to the Future. Josie and the Pussycats. Just throwing that into the ring.

Cap'n Howdy said...

If I understand Adam correctly, the shameless promotion within Josie and the Pussycats is intended to be a joke about product placement. As I've never seen it, I don't really know, but that's one theory.