Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yee-ha!

Some days, you find just the right something to make a week full of crap sandwiches worthwhile. It's usually something you never expected to actually see, so that makes it all the better.

Student Bodies, move out of the way. You've been bumped by the only movie that I GUARANTEE will play during Summer Fest:

Hillbillys in a Haunted House

Everything else I said would play is playing, including Terrorvision, Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, the 3-D stuff, Chopping Mall; it's all good. But something lost its "prime time" slot because an actual damned copy of Hillbillys in a Haunted House came into work.

This is the kind of movie you see on a list like The 50 Worst Movies Ever Made and think to yourself, "that looks special." You then try to find it for Trailer Sunday and can't, and that usually means it's not going to be find-able anywhere. Thank goodness for working at a used dvd store.

So what does this gem from 1967 have going for it? I'm glad you asked. How about John Carradine, Lon Chaney, Basil Rathbone AND Merle Haggard? What about an "entourage of foreign spies" looking to "steal a secret formula for rocket proepllant"? I know, it doesn't even sound like a horror movie, but there's totally a guy in a gorilla suit on the cover, and the mansion is haunted!

"What am I getting myself into?" you ask. Well, how about this:



Now, I just noticed that between the time I watched The 50 Worst Movies Ever Made and tonight that someone put the whole movie up, but I'm politely requesting you not watch it yet. Something this classic needs to be appreciated with others, people who can accurately judge if it really deserves to be one of the fifty worst movies ever made. That's some special company to keep...

No comments: