Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Quick Non-Review-Review and More Summerfest Additions

I can't promise that Student Bodies is going to make the already packed Summer Fest list (new additions shortly); it's not a great movie, but this "first horror-comedy"* is much better than Return to Horror High, a movie we already watched two fests ago.

The premise is simple: it's a parody of slasher movies. The one thing I'll give Student Bodies over Scream or Scary Movie is that it came out at the height of "slasher mania" in 1981, and while many of the jokes are misfires, enough of them hit and nail the genre conventions. I considered putting the trailer up here but it does the movie a disservice by playing too broad. Don't get me wrong, Student Bodies is throwing jokes out with Zucker-like speed, it's just that every now and then one of them will be funny, and the trailer is not. It also ruins the first ten minutes of the film.

Because it does fit into the "horror comedy" tent I'm pitching for Summer Fest, I'm giving it some consideration, even if it's not the best thing we're going to see. Speaking of which, let's look at some of the new additions.

Major Tom scored a copy of Terrorvision, which you can read his thoughts on in the "comments" section of the last Summer Fest post. I have a VCR, so this is a sure thing.

I did manage to actually find a 3-D copy of My Bloody Valentine, and despite Neil's protestations, we are going to watch it on Saturday. Friday the 13th Part 3 (in 3-D) will be playing on, appropriately, Friday. If enough of you can convince me it's the right thing to do AND it's still playing in theatres, Thursday's Field Trip movie will be Drag Me to Hell. It's the only horror-related movie playing right now. If The Final Destination were opening before August, we'd be seeing that - in 3-D!

Troll 2. HD. I just need to know, and you're going to find out with me.

I realize the fake Friday the 13th is coming out soon, but we're not watching it. Only legitimate Jason movies are considered Fest-worthy. Movies where Jason becomes a horde of Giant, Man-Eating Bunny Rabbits clearly fall into the "legitimate" category.

The Cap'n is keeping his eye open for a copy of House of Long Shadows on VHS, so if you feel so inclined to also keep an eye out, it would be much appreciated. I'm totally down with more VCR horror if you folks are.

While this is the "Horror Comedy" version of Horror Fest, I do feel the need to include a "classic" of some variety. Thoughts?

This is a smidge early for Horror Fest IV: The Final Chapter, but since Trick R Treat is finally coming out on Blu Ray, we'll be watching that in October, along with Let the Right One In.

Actually, I have a lot of ideas for the October finale of Horror Fest (here, anyway. I will continue it wherever I move to, in this state or not) but I need to focus on other pressing matters between now and July, let alone now and Shocktober.


* Not to get picky here, but I'd say Bride of Frankenstein may be the first "Horror Comedy." If you think I'm applying the standard too liberally, allow me to suggest The Fearless Vampire Killers in its stead.

No comments: