Monday, June 8, 2009

Cap'n Snarky's House of Gripes

Today's Blogorium Post is Brought to You By:


---



It appears that Neil was not the only person promised a role in Spider-Man 4 for his enthusiastic endorsement of Drag Me to Hell; I can always count on the internet to shill for this movie, but at least one other person has clearly been given a supporting role in the fourth Spidey film. Good for you guys.

Lucky for the Cap'n, the true judge of how good a film is (other than the MTV Movie Awards), the almighty Box Office is listing Drag Me to Hell at 28 million after two weeks. It's doing slightly better than Dance Flick and we all know that's a winner, right? The Box Office never lies, which means that Terminator: Salvation, a clearly inferior film, is still better than Drag Me to Hell. Better box office means better movie. I mean, that's just common sense, right
*?

Now if you'll excuse me, I clearly need to watch Night at the Museum: Battle for the Smithsonian because it is also superior to Drag Me to Hell according to how much money it made. I'm also derelict in my Titanic watching (having never seen it) as it is clearly the BEST MOVIE EVER MADE.

---

Speaking of the "feeling like I'm not part of the club but also not sure I want to be", I feel strange about having no compulsion whatsoever to see The Hangover. It's not that anything looks wrong with it or I intensely dislike someone in the cast or that the Cap'n is just taking a haughty "I'm too good for this movie" attitude; I just don't feel anything when I see ads for it. I neither feel compelled to see or to avoid it. I feel no way whatsoever about the movie and accordingly am not all the interested in watching it.

Maybe if I cared more about my newly earned "heretical" status - for turning down Sam Raimi horror and debauchery comedy with Zach Galifianakis - I would feel a deep sense of shame. Instead, I'm going to stay focused on not getting the internet cut off. If it does go down, you can say adios to the Blogorium for a while if not longer and I can fail an online class. Yee-ha!

---

Aside from La Haine, I'll have to admit I didn't watch many movies this past weekend or even last week. I did burn through the first disc of Weeds: Season 4 courtesy of Netflix but that's about it. While I haven't mentioned it in nearly two weeks (this must be some kind of record for me), Summer Fest is still in the cards, although it won't be at the AOS because somebody's landlord is REALLY excited about an open-ended notice of "moving out" and is expecting the Cap'n to be out by the end of the month, no discussion necessary.

So even if we have to have it in someone's yard because I can afford to live somewhere else, there will be a Summer Fest, and the lineup looks very good. Since I last wrote about it, several films have appeard out of the woodwork and will probably join in. I'm reasonably confident there will be at least two 3-D films and at least one VCR Classic. More details when I'm less, well, whatever it is I am right now.

---

If (and it's a pretty big IF right now) I ever get a refund check and pay off many people who are hounding me for money, I have been looking into Region Free players on Ebay, where they seem to be pretty cheap. This would open up the possibility of having a Phantasm marathon sometime as we could actually watch the copy of Phantasm II I have. The series runs (roughly) sequentially, so there's no point in watching 1, 3, and 4 without part 2.

---

To sum it up: Drag Me to Hell - clearly not good but I'll be looking for Kraven the Hunter and Young Vulture in Spider-Man 4, I'll pass on a Hangover, Summer Fest - under the stars if need be, and Region Free if not house-free.




* The question is obviously rhetorical and your pithy complaints to the contrary are not necessary.

2 comments:

Quixoticus said...

Yes, I was promised a role, as was everyone else who liked it, including Roger Ebert, Peter Travers and 93% of Rotten Tomato critics, several writers from io9.com, most of the theater I saw it with, and several co-workers. We will all be playing villains.

Cap'n Howdy said...

I knew it! Although critics don't count, unless you want me to cite other recent movies Roger Ebert liked. They would include Land of the Lost, Angels and Demons, and Knowing. I have plenty of Rolling Stones around the apartment if you want me to check Peter Travers track record.


More villains for Spider-Man 4, which will make more money than Drag Me to Hell, insuring that it is a superior film. Surely this is true.