Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sadly, not Weeds...

Things are a little slow at the blogorium today, kiddos. It's laundry and homework day, the two most exciting things the Cap'n could possibly talk about*, and then I went to work and uh-

Oh, right. Box Cleaning Day!

I realize that doesn't sound any more exciting than homework or laundry but when you work at a used book / cd / dvd / etc store, and have (relatively) unfettered access to said product, you can find some pretty good stuff. Among the stuff I brought home tonight were:

Eating Raoul - a French comedy about cannibalism

Matinee - a criminally under-seen (and out of print) Joe Dante movie starring John Goodman as a William Castle-esque producer of the film Mant!

Nightmare City - Umberto Lenzi movie about not-zombie-zombies. Also known as City of the Walking Dead.

Yojimbo and Sanjuro Criterions - The Kurosawa films that were roughly remade into A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More by Sergio Leone.

Alain Delon Collection - The Swimming Pool, Diabolically Yours, The Widow Couderc, The Gypsy, and Our Story, all starring the "male Brigitte Bardot"

Phantasm II - Alas, it's a region 2 disc, but at this point when I have some money to spare I'm going to buy a region-free player. We have too many discs come through that people just can't play to let them go to waste, and who knows if Phantasm II will ever come out in the United States.

Tornado! and Andy Richter Controls the Universe - I bought both of these with the intention of watching them, but if the Cranpire wants either one they are his for the asking. Tornado! (also known as Twister but not that Twister) is the made-for-tv movie starring Bruce Campbell and Ernie Hudson. I certainly hope all of you know what Andy Richter Controls the Universe is.

Clownhouse - For notoriety's sake.

also I picked up some books, including The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and The Golden Ratio, as well as some cds involving Tom Waits, The Ramones, and The Cure, plus one featuring Jim Jarmusch, Harry Dean Stanton and Jimmy Buffett. See if you can guess what it is.

So that's what I've got. I haven't watched La Haine yet but I promise to get to it soon enough. Toodles.


* With the possible exception of mowing the lawn. Wow is that exhilarating!

2 comments:

El Cranpiro said...

Yes if by your grace I would love to purchase those two from you. Or trade in handjobs. you pick. I have wanted Torando for years and nevert found a copy or learned how to spell it.

Cap'n Howdy said...

I'll pass on the HJ's, thanks, but they're yours. Plus, since it's just your lucky week, the first (and presumably only) season of Stella.