Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Mid-Week Video Daily Double

(this is a nice way of saying the Cap'n isn't feeling well)

Ah, my beloved readers / web stalkers / lurkers.... your Cap'n is feeling a smidge woozy as his cold medicine kicks in, but I'm estimating that I have enough time to share a few choice home video tidbits with you before konking out. Plus, since I'm such a great guy, I've got a half wonderful / half gag-worthy Video Daily Double for you that I've been saving since Oscar Sunday.

---

Every four months or so, I go to DVDTalk, Amazon, Ain't It Zoul News, and Bloody-Disgusting in order to gather up release dates for new DVDs and Blu-Rays, which I keep in a handy Word document. It helps me keep track of what's coming out and when. Generally speaking, I'll put "big" releases I'm interested in, plus any titles that catch my eye or just sound too strange not to investigate.

Now, I usually don't buy all of the things I write down, but I add about half of them to my Netflix queue and try to pick up the ones I really want to own. Here are a handful of interesting releases I thought I'd share with you cats and kittens:

March 16th - Broken Embraces (the new Pedro Aldomovar film), Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volume XVII (featuring The Crawling Eye, The Beatniks, The Final Sacrifice, and Blood Waters of Dr. Z), and Dillinger is Dead: the Criterion Collection

March 23rd - The African Queen, Days of Heaven: The Criterion Collection, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Mad Men Season Three, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Toy Story(s) 1 and 2, and Bigger Than Life: The Criterion Collection (all on Blu-Ray)

April 6th - Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, A Nightmare on Elm Street (Blu-Ray), and Tromeo and Juliet (Blu-Ray)

April 20th - Battleship Potemkin (Blu-Ray)

April 27th - The Imagninarium of Dr. Parnassus, Tombstone (Blu-Ray), and Tales from the Darkside Season Three

May 11th - M, Marked for Death, and Rock 'N' Roll High School, all on Blu-Ray. This may be the strangest triple bill ever.

May 25th - By Brakhage - Volume 2 (on dvd / volumes 1 and 2 on Blu-Ray), City of the Living Dead (Blu-Ray), Class of Nuke 'Em High (Blu-Ray), Django (Blu-Ray), Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (Blu-Ray), Spartacus (Blu-Ray), Stagecoach: The Criterion Collection (Blu-Ray)

August 24th - Dinosaur Island, in complete season 6 or complete series DVD and Blu-Ray sets.

---

Additionally: since there's no release date for it (yet), I thought it was a fair head's up to let Netflix users know that Lars von Trier's Antichrist is available on "Watch It Now", and in HD.

---

Finally, your Video Daily Double

First, what remains of a 1903 adaptation of Alice in Wonderland:



Second, proof that the American remake of Spaced that Fox commissioned without Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg was a bad idea. So bad, this is all you're ever likely to see of it:

No comments: