Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Video Daily Double

Greetings one and all! The Cap'n is reporting from out west, which means that I'm still getting the hang of posting before the day ends on the east coast. Since we're two hours back in New Mexico, the Inception review made it up too late for most of you to catch it yesterday, but it's happily occupying a spot in the Blogorium for your reading enjoyment. Let me know when more of you have seen it, as I'd like to go a bit more in depth in the analysis.

While poking around Santa Fe, I found the closest thing to an Edward McKay in New Mexico, Hastings. What really amused me about this is that I'd been ordering from the GoHastings seller on Amazon marketplace for a while now, as they consistently have a great selection of rare and obscure movies. The store is no exception; in addition to the 7,000 or so movies for rent, they sell quite a nice selection of new and used DVDs, Blu-Rays, and games.

What jumped out to me immediately was the depth of their horror selection. The "International" section was no slouch either, but I found horror films at Hastings yesterday that I've only read reviews of online. Not only did they have the Blu-Ray for Class of Nuke 'em High, but they're the only store in town carrying the newly released special editions of Roger Corman's Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror. But that's just scratching the surface. I found copies of Frankenhooker, Nightmare Castle, It Lives Again / Island of the Alive, and half a dozen other titles I've never actually seen on shelves.

I also picked up this, which should entice almost all of you to come out to NM for Horror Fest V:


That's right: killer weasels. We're reasonably convinced that the director was listening to Frank Zappa and decided he needed to make that album a cheap-o horror movie, and he may well be right. We'll know in three months.

Anyway, this is a Video Daily Double, so let's make with the videos!

---

Our first video is an ad for some of the Real Ghostbusters action figures, which I suppose some of our younger readers won't remember. Pity...





Our second video is a three-minute trailer for the new season of Weeds. As someone who felt the fourth season stumbled a little bit but liked the fifth season, I'm looking forward to season six, and the trailer looks promising:




Oh, and I've started watching Breaking Bad. It seemed rather appropriate, seeing as Albuquerque is only an hour's drive away from here. When I've seen more, I'll do a proper write-up...

No comments: