Friday, October 2, 2009

Pick your poison, please.

One of these trailers for next year's Golden Raspberry winners made me laugh so hard I still haven't stopped, and the other is so stunningly awful that I had to share it. I'm going to leave it up to you to guess which one is which.

No, I'm not. The Tooth Fairy is such a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea that I challenge you not to laugh at how awful this movie looks.



On the other end of the "really" spectrum, I'm not going to pretend that I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks the movie (because I didn't), but I have the feeling it's as instantly dated as its *shudder* Squeakquel will be before the year is out. Witness for yourself:




Finally, because it proves a point about why remakes are problematic, I present to you the "five minutes" of Roland Emmerich's 2012 making its way around the interweb. Rather than remaking a disaster movie, Emmerich continually recycles his own ridiculous "end of the world by ____" motif. This time, apparently the whole world ends not by Global Warming or Space Aliens, but by... uh, the end of the Mayan calender.

Let's not even pretend the plot matters, because it certainly doesn't in this clip. 2012, like most of his disasterpieces, is about watching cities being destroyed by something. In this case, we finally see Bill Hicks' "Arizona Bay" bit come to fruition, with John Cusack hilariously driving Amanda Peet, some other dude, and some kids around in a limousine. And then a plane, both of which somehow find a way to go between imploding buildings.



As sad as the Cap'n is to say this, Roland Emmerich is setting the bar for non-remakers by at least pretending he's not making the same movie. Even though he clearly is. I bet I could substitute footage from The Day After Tomorrow and you wouldn't know the difference. Platinum Dunes could learn a thing or two from this guy...

Wow, did I really just say that? You'll have to excuse me, I just watched The Tooth Fairy trailer again and I can't control my laughter.

No comments: